Sunday 14 April 2019

Problem Pages

As a warm-up, I asked my students a few questions (What kind of problems do teenagers face today? Why do these problems occur? What are the consequences? What helps you solve some of these problems?)
Then, I asked them to form four-member groups. Each group got a letter asking for advice. I explained the task (read the letter, identify the causes of the problem(s) and the consequences as well, using the problem tree technique, and suggest some advice) and checked their understanding.
Later, I monitored the group work and encouraged teamwork of students. I also shared some suggestions and provided assistance when needed.

Each group shared their work with the others, who gave their feedback.


In the next lesson, the same groups gathered around the new task - to write a letter of advice. But, first, I read an example of such a letter, and asked them some questions (How does the letter begin / end? In which part of the letter is compassion shown? In which part of the letter is the hope that the advice will help? In which part are the tips mentioned and the expected results stated?);
Again, I monitored the group work and helped them when needed.


Each group read their letters of advice and the others commented.