Friday 17 November 2023

Heal the World!

With a colleague of mine, I've recently carried out some of the activities I created with colleagues from Poland and Portugal in the Edu-Hackathon with Google training course in Brussels, Belgium, in December 2022.

We started the first in the series of lessons with the warm-up and brainstorming activities. The pupils were introduced to the topic, discussed climate issues and completed the online survey. Then, five teams were formed according to the main issues they had suggested: air pollution, water pollution, deforestation, endangered animals, and acid rain.


The teams were ready for their next stage - active involvement. They decided on the name of their team and on the roles of each member. I presented them with a selection of resources and digital tools they could use to create their final products. I also showed them my pupils' examples of various forms on environmental issues, such as infographics, e-books, presentations and games which helped the teams decide on the form of their final product, too.

All the teams agreed on creating presentations in Canva.

After two weeks, during which they shared their presentations with their teacher and me so that I could create an escape room game with their quiz questions, we organised the showcase stage. Several teachers came as well. 

I set the timer, and the representatives of each team presented their work. After the last presentation, in their teams, the pupils played the escape room game and checked how much they had learned.

In the wrap-up stage, I asked the pupils to complete the first survey once again and evaluate all the activities too, but I also asked the present teachers to do another survey, with rubrics, and help us choose the best presentation which would be our representative in the international competition and public online show and tell.