Saturday 25 May 2013

Making a cake

As usual, we started the lesson with a song. This time it was the one about the food we like or don't like.

Then we played the game 'I spy with my little eye...' with the food poster. 
VukaĊĦin Konstantinov I2

After that, I asked my pupils if they use any of the things on the poster to make a cake, if they can make a cake, what their favourite one was... 

We watched a video with two children, a brother and a sister, making a cake. Then I asked my 7-year-olds to tell me which ingredients the children used. Some of those were new words, so they used their mother tongue and I repeated in English.

Of course, they drew all 5 ingredients (chocolate, eggs, butter, flour and sugar). We checked the colours of each. We watched the same video again, but this time we paid attention to the order, what the children put first in a bowl, what they added, mixed... We checked everything together with the help of some hand-drawn flashcards. 
I1
I1
I1

I4
I4
I2

I2
I2

I2
I3
I3

I3

Their next task was to draw and decorate their own cake. 

After that we did some follow-up activities on the DVD, listened to a story and finished the lesson with a song. It was a lot of fun.