Thursday 18 April 2013

Walking around London

The first virtual walk around London with my 7-year-olds was a lot of fun, judging by their comments and sighs at the end of the lesson.

As a warm up, we sang the 'Wheels on the Bus' song and then revised the means of transport. We went through all our transport flashcards. 

After that I asked them to draw a bus, a car, a boat, a horse and a lion and explained that we can see all these things in London.
Vukašin Konstantinov, I2
Vukašin Konstantinov, I2
So, our journey could start. We watched a short film and their task was to pay attention to the colours of the things drawn in their notebooks. We checked everything and talked a bit more about the things in the film. It's needless to say that every time they saw something they were familiar with they called it out (motorbike, bike, lorry...). 

We also visited Buckingham Palace and watched the parade, saw the soldiers with their horses, walked along the River Thames and heard Big Ben ringing.

Almost at the end of the lesson, I showed them a well-known singing game called 'London Bridge is Falling Down' (Two pairs of players = the bridge hold hands and make an arch with their arms while the others pass through. At the song's end, the bridge falls down to "catch" players who then become another bridge).
I1
I3
I1
I4

I4


I4

I4

I2

I2

I2

I2

I2

I3

I3

I5

I5
I5

Finally, our visit was over. We got on a plane and came back home. To make it more real, I played them my short video clip showing the taking off of a plane from London Heathrow airport.