Friday 30 March 2012

My favourite painting (articles)

What's your favourite painting? Who painted it? What does it show? How does it make you feel? Write it in an article.


Girl Before a Mirror
Teodora Stankov VIII1

The painting is from 1932. It was painted by Pablo Picasso. 

Ever since I first saw the painting, it left a strong impression on me. So, please let me describe this great piece of art and explain to you why I like it so much!

The painting is really colourful. There is a woman, but she is not realistic. The young woman is looking at herself in the mirror. 

Most people think that this painting represents the day and the night. One half of the face of the young woman is the sun. She is very beautiful. But, when she looks at the mirror, she sees the night. Her reflection in the mirror mostly contains blue and purple colours. That represents the night. Some deep thinkers and philosophers might say - maturity. 

We can all look at the painting and see how one single painting represents darkness and light, a young woman and mature one, day and night, the moon and the sun.

Teodora Stankov, VIII1


Dragana Komlenić VIII1
The Scream

You know how I make you wanna scream? Well, my favourite piece of art is The Scream! It was painted by a Norwegian artist called Edward Munch.

The painting was brought to life somewhere between 1893 and 1910.

There are four versions of The Scream. The one from 1893 is in the National Gallery of Oslo. The Munch Museum holds the one from 1910 and one pastel, while the one from 1895, in pastel as well, is owned by a Norwegian businessman.

For me, the one from 1893 is the best. I like it ‘coz it’s so cool. All those splashy colours, they just amaze me. And the sky… I especially love the blood red sky. This painting is so unordinary and I love the stuff that no one does like!

Occasionally, this painting is called The Cry or The Scream of Nature.

Edward Munch explained his inspiration for The Scream in his diary, "I was walking along a path with two friends – the sun was setting – suddenly the sky turned blood red – I paused, feeling exhausted, and leaned on the fence – there was blood and tongues of fire above the blue-black fjord and the city – my friends walked on, and I stood there trembling with anxiety – and I sensed an infinite scream passing through nature."

The moment I saw the painting in a CN cartoon called “Courage, the cowardly dog” years ago, I was amazed by this piece of art!

To some people, it’s creepy and they don’t know the meaning of this painting. But, I just love it.

Dragana Komlenić, VIII1